Thursday, June 14, 2007

Now

Saving the world...the dream of every young person with blood and a heart. We want to lift the suffering from people, remove poverty, wipe out injustice, and help everyone to live in peace and serenity. Too many of us tire ourselves out waiting for that moment when we can start that movement, make that discovery, and do something "really worth doing." People my age live their lives depressed because we are afraid that we will end up working our whole lives for "the big fridge" or "shark tank" or whatever term you want to use for living your life for the here and the now.

But don't abandon your dreams.

Start living them. Now.

Farooq bhai, or Omar bhai, or Murtada bhai, may never get awards for advising us to go Egypt. No one will probably ever know, or ever really care. But those few hours they spent with us did change the world. My life, and Mustafa's, will never be the same now that we've at least got a basic grasp of Arabic. A part of everything we read and enjoy and benefit from will go to them in terms of rewards.

So I've decided...I will live my dreams. Only I will start now, insha'allah. I will help the people around me, the people that I know and the people that I don't. Because if I do that, a wave starts; it begins with me and I feel its ripples come back to me. So oh my brethren, don't wait for the opportunity that never comes, the ideal job that doesn't exist, the period of leisure where you'll be free to do what you want, don't wait for it. Life is too short. One minute you are fine and the next you're gone and you can't delay that moment for even a second.

And to a certain lady out there, I pray for you everyday, everytime I read my Qur'an. I pray for your health, and I am certain there is something good in whatever happens.

And to certain other people out there, your effort is never lost. But please, make sure you rest and recharge and don't try to do everything. As the Arabic saying goes, only someone who has something can give it.

And please pray for me, all of you.

~Ameer

No comments: